Maintenance IS Important
With a little bit of upkeep you can save yourself hundreds of dollars in repair costs!
Don’t have time to do it all yourself?
Call us TODAY about our money-saving
Annual Preventative Maintenance Program.
IMPORTANT SUMMER AC MAINTENANCE
- Clean/change the air filter. In the summertime, your system is running harder and longer than any other time of the year. You should replace your filter monthly. Doing so can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by up to 15%. A dirty filter can cause unnecessary strain and damage to your system.
- Clear the area around the outdoor unit. Keep vegetation at least two feet away from the unit so it is free to pull in air.
- Clear the drain. A clogged drain can waste nearly as much energy as a dirty filter because your unit has to work harder to send out even less cool air. A clogged drain can also cause water to back up in the drain pan and system. This access water can cause ceiling, wall and floor damage.
- Clean the outdoor and indoor units. Keep the outdoor condenser fan running efficiently by cleaning the fan blades, and maintain the unit’s ability to cool the air moving through it by removing dust and other buildup from the indoor evaporator coil.
- Get a programmable thermostat. It’s easier to save energy with a programmable thermostat than a regular one because you don’t have to think about it each time you want to change the temperature. You pre-program your settings so that the thermostat raises the temperature while you’re at work and asleep, and kicks on the air conditioning when you’re at home and awake. With “smart” programmable thermostats, you can even control the temperature from your smartphone.
- Seal your heating/cooling ducts and any open spaces. Make sure doors, windows, and nooks and crannies are shut and properly sealed. The less cool air that escapes your home, the less energy you’ll waste, and more comfortable you’ll be.
- Set your thermostat to your ideal temperature (not any colder). Setting the air conditioner to a colder-than-desired temperature doesn’t cool down your house any quicker – it just keeps the unit working longer than necessary. So, set it to where you want it. And remember: You save up to 1% on your yearly cooling bill every time you raise the temperature by one degree for a period of eight hours. So, set it to around 78° – after all, it is summer!
- Replace your old inefficient central air conditioner. Today’s air conditioners use up to 40% less energy to produce the same amount of cooling as those made just 10 years ago. Look for an ENERGY STAR® rating and a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio or “SEER” that is above 13 (the higher, the better).
Ready to find out more?
Head on over to our HVAC Services to learn more about about our money-saving Annual Preventative Maintenance Program.